[MlMt] MM keeps re-asking for password

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Tue Jul 14 12:16:00 EDT 2020

MailMate 1.13.1 on OS 10.13.6.

Most of my accounts are set up with a server address of 1.27.0.0.1,
which uses an SSH tunnel to connect to the mail server.  Other accounts,
including iCloud mail, go directly (not via the SSH tunnel).  All
passwords are saved in the keychain.  Starting a few days ago, for some
reason the SSH connection drops after a few hours, always while the
machine running MM is idle (e.g., overnight or when I am out of the room
for a few hours).  I haven't yet figured out why the SSH connection
keeps dropping, but the only effect of that should be that MM loses
connectivity with the server for the accounts that need the SSH tunnel.
However, whenever I return to the machine and the tunnel has dropped, MM
has a dialog box up asking me to re-enter the (app-specific) iCloud
account password.  I put it in, check the box to save it in the
keychain, and MM is happy until the next time the SSH connection drops.

The dialog says:

	Enter password for “...” at “imap.mail.me.com”

	Password does not exist in keychain.

	Note: If you use two-step verification or two-factor authentication
then you probably need an application specific password.

	https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204397

	Please enter password for user name “...”.

--Randall