[MlMt] will MailMate be a good mail mate for me?

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Sat Jun 11 04:20:53 EDT 2016

On 10 Jun 2016, at 2:24, Robert Brenstein wrote:

To add to Fredriks answer

Through the years I've used clients like for example Eudoro, Mail,
Mailsmith (POP only) and now MailMate.

Each of these clients have had their special features that made it more
or less impossible to replicate a setup in one client so that it works
as well in another.

For example: Mailsmith have some lovely filtering abilities that makes
it easy to set up some clever filters that handles for example mailing
lists in a very nice way, but this doesn't work in Mail since the
filtering there is rather primitive (even with extensions). MailMate has
filters but they are not as good as Mailsmith but on the other had there
are smart mailboxes (or should we call them with their real name "saved
searches").

Another thing I like with MailMate is that I can set up shortcuts so by
typing for example "fl" while reading an email I can flag that to being
read later, "ff" for email to be fixed right now, etc. After flagging I
can archive the email and use a few smart mailboxes to display messages
waiting to be acted on (fixed), reference email, waiting for answers,
etc. Very efficient for my situation.

> Most of the traffic, probably like 70% of it, are mailing lists, over
> 200 of them. I do not, of course, read all those messages but only
> selected threads. All incoming messages are sorted out by filters into
> close to 300 mailboxes.

I just moved my email list address (I use one address when subscribing
to mailing lists) back to my computer after reading them on a gmail
account for a couple of years. And there are a few things that I had to
do differently from previous clients to make MailMate behave the way I
wanted. What I've done is first to set up a simple filtering rule that
moves all list mails into a mailbox (reason: I don't want to see them in
my unified inbox view), then I've set up a few smart mailboxes in an
hierarchical fashion that looks in that mailbox and display the
individual mailing lists.

At the moment it seem to work fine for me but I probably going to make
some changes to this after

> What is left in the inbox is some junk that sneaked thru spam filters
> and a few misc messages.

To only thing that has stayed constant when switching between clients
have been my use of SpamSieve - my advise is that you shouldn't launch a
mail client without having SpamSieve installed and running.

= jem