[MlMt] will MailMate be a good mail mate for me?

Mon Jun 13 04:01:53 EDT 2016

On 10 Jun 2016, at 2:24, Robert Brenstein wrote:

You already got a few answers. The best one is probably from Fredrik:
“If you want to exactly mimic your current way of handling e-mail I
don't think you will find anything that works well.”

I'll add a couple of additional comments below.

> I have 18 personalities, that is 18 different mail addresses and
> almost as many service providers.

This should not be a problem. MailMate is very flexible regarding
multiple accounts/identities. MailMate should also work with most/all
service providers — at least it includes numerous workarounds for IMAP
server bugs.

> It seems that MailMate does not support local mailboxes, that is
> having mail copied off the server to my computer. MailMate
> advertisement states that it offers "Full Offline Access."

Full offline access means that MailMate keeps a local copy of every
email in every mailbox. It also means that you can act on these emails
(move, delete, tag, etc.) and these changes are then synchronized with
the server when you go online.

> However, the following description mentions only administrative
> functions. Keeping many thousands of mails on the servers must affect
> performance.

There is some synchronization work done (how much depends on the IMAP
server). Other than that I don't see any IMAP vs local performance
issues (in MailMate).

> Another feature that is essential for me is that new mail is checked
> only every 30 mins, which is, of course, because of the volume of mail
> I get.

You can tell MailMate how often to synchronize each account (or even
mailbox). Click on an account under SOURCES and then look for “Mailbox
▸ Synchronization Schedule”. By default, the INBOX of each account
is in the “Connected” state which means that new messages are
detected immediately, but you can disable this. Only caveat is that
MailMate still syncs whenever you select a mailbox. This can currently
only be disabled by explicitly taking the account offline. In other
words, I don't think you can fully emulate the 30 minute check of
Eudora.

> So, will MailMate be a good mail client for me?

I don't know, but the 30 day trial only counts days of active use
(sending messages).