[MlMt] Any news?

Mon Feb 29 04:32:52 EST 2016

On 29 Feb 2016, at 9:31, R2newslet at gmail.com wrote:

> “Looks” are not just an aesthetic issue. The current interface has
> notable clumsiness in places, which slows down my ability to absorb
> information and to give commands. This is a general issue in all
> software, of course. The idea that “looks are orthogonal to
> usefulness” has been refuted by considerable research.

I hope I haven't indicated that this is my view on “looks” :-) A few
parts of the visual appearance of MailMate are orthogonal to the
behavior of MailMate though. These are the parts I can fairly easily
hire someone to do for me (icons, stylesheets, and maybe a few more
things) and this was the original thinking behind the mini crowd funding
(which I've already indicated was probably not a very good idea despite
the generosity of some of my users).

Fixing the “clumsiness in places” requires coding and that means me.
The main resource for that is time and not money.

(With regard to both graphics and “clumsiness” there is an element
of subjectivity as well. I'll never be able to satisfy everyone.)

> So, I vote for the original plan of hiring someone to clean up the
> appearance. If you have the budget for some UI engineering, that would
> be even better.

Sorry, I don't have the budget for that and it's probably also unlikely
to change. (If I ever hired someone then it would probably be to answer
some of my incoming emails.)

As always I'll do my best to continue improving MailMate.