[MlMt] Any news?

Billy Youdelman billy at MIX.ORG
Mon Feb 29 04:48:12 EST 2016

R2newslet at gmail.com wrote:

> “Looks” are not just an aesthetic issue. The current interface has
> notable clumsiness in places, which slows down my ability to absorb
> information and to give commands.

What exactly is slowing you down?

The only thing I've found annoying is my display height limits me to
only displaying about 34 folders in the MAILBOXES/SOURCES area, but I
have a few hundred folders.  If I want to copy one for which I need to
scroll down, after the copy completes the display bounces back up to the
top - as opposed to staying where it was, so I can see that yes, the new
folder is where I intended it to be.  So, then I have to scroll down
again...

But -- based on what happens when moving bookmarks (the same thing as
above) in Safari, my guess is this is an Apple problem, and would
probably be rather painful for Benny to work around it.

Of course, if I am wrong, I'd be happy to hear about that.....

> This is a general issue in all software, of course. The idea that
> “looks are orthogonal to usefulness” has been refuted by
> considerable research.

After 20+ years of doing email on a character-cell (text) terminal I'm
quite happy.  I could suggest adding a
"Show Nothing" to the Customize Toolbar options (heh), but again, I'd
guess that too would require working around what Apple provide, and I'd
much prefer that time be spent on useful work.

ビリー ヨーデルマん
+1 310 839 7673
http://MIX.ORG/