[MlMt] Rules on Inbox - Generic

Tue Feb 16 05:15:41 EST 2016

On 12 Feb 2016, at 17:59, Marc DR wrote:

> example:
>
> 	[From] [is in] [Info ▸ Marketing_Confirmed] [From]
> 	[Move to Mailbox] [Info ▸ Marketing_Auto]
> Please do note that I do not move to the Mailbox_Source because this
> allows me to see what has been add recently.
> I think I could achieve an identical result by tagging the "fresh"
> mails before moving and untagging them after verification ( or vice
> versa ), which is "easier" for you to implement. :-))

I think that would also be a nicer way to handle that.

> I think GUI-wise the "new-move" version could look like this
>
> 	[From] [is in] [Mailbox/SmartMailbox] [From]
>
> 	[Generic Move to first matched Source Mailbox of]
> [Mailbox/SmartMailbox]
> 	or
> 	[Dynamic Move to first matched Source of]  [Mailbox/SmartMailbox]
> 	or
> 	[Fuzzy Move to Source of]  [Mailbox/SmartMailbox]
>
> Just some ideas and have a nice WE,

I think this illustrates that it's hard to make such a feature
intuitive. A better (and cleaner) approach would be to make the action
independent of the conditions. The action could then be something like:

	Move to Related Mailbox based on [Header] in [Mailbox]

The “Mailbox” could be any smart or IMAP mailbox/account. It would
trigger MailMate to look for the first message in Mailbox with the same
header value. When found, the new message would be moved to the same
IMAP mailbox as the found message. It would be like an IMAP mailbox
variant of the Submailboxes feature for smart mailboxes.

This would allow a worst case near-linear running time if a large number
of messages are “moved” (linear in terms of the size of the mailbox
used in the action).

Note that in this case there would be no need for a condition for the
rule except for maybe limiting the messages triggering the action.

A somewhat related feature would allow simply creating IMAP mailboxes
based on a header value:

	Move to Submailbox of [IMAP Mailbox/Account] based on [Header]

These two features would cover two types of somewhat similar use cases I
believe.

Useful features?