[MlMt] What takes time at startup?

Vlad Ghitulescu Vlad at Ghitulescu.de
Mon Feb 8 09:10:36 EST 2016

Hey, Philip!

On 8 Feb 2016, at 13:56, Philip Paeps wrote:

> On 2016-02-08 11:14:09 (+0100), Vlad Ghitulescu <Vlad at Ghitulescu.de>
> wrote:
>> On 8 Feb 2016, at 10:49, Philip Paeps wrote:
>>> My archives go back to the mid-nineties.  Since mail (generally)
>>> compresses well and (server) disk space kept getting cheaper, I
>>> decided a very long time ago that it's cheaper to keep everything
>>> than to regularly evaluate what's relevant.
>>
>> How often do you use / read those mid-nineties email messages now?
>
> Surprisingly often!

I'm then a lot luckier: My archives grows bigger every year, but I
rarely (**very** rarely) search something older than three years.

> Well, maybe not those from the nineties.

This is the chance to let them go! ;-)

(…)

>>> Simple connectivity is one thing, but also finding what I need.
>>
>> See my previous message: MailSteward or HoudahSpot make that realy
>> easy.
>
> I hadn't heard of these until now.

MailSteward (http://www.mailsteward.com) worked just fine with Mail.app
for me - unfortunately not with MailMate, so I had to search for an
alternative. It makes a MySQL-database from the email messages and let
you search via an interface but also via *raw* sql-query if this strikes
your fancy. It can schedule archiving, support OS X tags etc.

HoudahSpot (https://www.houdah.com/houdahSpot/) uses Spotlight's
indexing for search, but it's a lot more powerful and convenient than
using Spotlight. I'm using this to search the archived email messages
from MailMate (they are eml-files in a Finder-folder). That's as quick
as MailSteward but let my email messages free from any proprietary
format (even if the eml-files - and their attributes - are generated by
MailMate while dragging them from MailMate into the Finder-folder). And
I'm using HoudahSpot already for searching & finding anything on my
iMac, so there is no supplementary effort involved :-)

> I'm not terribly enthusiastic about spreading my email access across
> different systems though.

That's a valid point!
But I think that Spotlight (w/o the confort of HoudahSpot) is secure
enough, don't you think?

> Standardised IMAP "just works".  Even if it means dragging a lot of
> history around and stretching client data structures and indices to
> their limits. :)

:-D
I can see the challenge, yes! Scaling is hard!

Thanks again for your thoughts!

> Philip
>
> --
> Philip Paeps