[MlMt] Mail archiving best practice

Fri Jan 23 03:21:38 EST 2015

On 23 Jan 2015, at 4:59, Harvey Leff wrote:

>> "How do you integrate MailSteward with MailMate?"
>
> In MailSteward's Settings, I specify two email accounts (one gmail
> account; one exchange account) to be backed up, along with the backup
> frequency (nightly at 10 pm). Additionally, I could specify other
> mailboxes in
> /Users/myusername/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages/IMAP.

And then you delete them manually in MailMate or is this only for backup
purposes?

> Every night at 10 pm MailSteward opens, scans my email messages, and
> adds the ones not already in MailSteward.

It's a bit risky to rely on how MailMate handles things internally, but
I guess this is fairly harmless (for now) as long as MailSteward never
deletes or changes anything.

I think it would be much better if MailMate triggered MailSteward
itself, e.g., by making a copy of each archived message in a separate
folder (in which MailSteward would then be allowed to delete imported
messages). It would also be more efficient since MailSteward would then
not need to scan already imported messages.