[MlMt] Draft saving

Mon Jan 5 15:55:49 EST 2015

On 5 Jan 2015, at 21:49, Allie Martin wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2015, at 15:43, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Actually, drafts are always autosaved regularly in the background
>> without changing the saved state of the message. Ideally, the saved
>> state should only change when the user explicitly saves the message,
>> but for technical reasons I'm currently forcing such a save whenever
>> the “structure” of the message changes. This happens, for
>> example, when Markdown to HTML generation is needed.
>>
>> Let me know if this does not explain what you see.
>
> I don't see how this explains I have to manually delete from my drafts
> folder, drafts that have been saved after I've opted out of composing
> them only when Markdown syntax is in the message.
>
> IOW's, if I compose a message without Markdown syntax, I see no
> indication of a draft being saved in the drafts folder.  If I opt out
> of composing by exiting the window and selecting 'Don't save' that's
> all I need to do.  There is no remaining draft version to delete from
> the draft folder.  However, if I do the same with Markdown syntax
> within the message, I have to do the manual delete every time.

Yes, as I noted I'm currently “forcing a save” without the user
explicitly asking for it. This is also why a draft survives after
selecting “Don't Save”. MailMate only skips saving the changes since
the last save.

I probably wasn't clear about this: I consider it a badly implemented
feature (or even a bug) that MailMate is currently forcing a save when
the structure of a message changes. (It's just one of those things I've
been postponing to fix for a long time.)