[MlMt] using gmail label tags in format strings

Sat May 17 15:27:34 EDT 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 6:46, David Rees wrote:

> I'm very excited about the gmail label support you are building into
> MailMate, its the key feature I keep looking for in an OSX client.
> Simply
> showing them as folders isn't enough for folks who active use Gmail.
>
> Once I make a gmail label a tag I lose it it as a folder on the left
> however. So its hard to quickly see all emails with a given tag (which
> is
> something a Gmail user is pretty used to).
>
> I've tried working around this with smart folder submailboxes on
> Tags/Keywords, but it seems to be showing "Raw Flags" as described in
> ticket
> 374<http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672-mailmate/tickets/374-Column-for-Showing-Tags-Keywords#ticket-374-3>.
> That unfortunately doesn't do the job since I get submailboxes like
> "@0,
> \Flagged" and "$NotJunk, @0, \Answered, \Flagged, \Seen" (@0 is my
> gmail
> label name).

It's slightly better if you use the virtual `Tags` header instead of
`Tags/Keywords`, but it'll only work well if you have at most 1 tag per
message. This is because submailboxes cannot handle multi-value headers
yet. This is almost only a problem for flags/tags and recipient headers,
but those are of course important problems.

> Is there anything I can do to work around this? I was thinking I could
> perhaps try changing the submailbox format name from ${#flags.flag}",
> but
> even if I can get that to narrow it down just to the label name it
> won't
> handle the case of multiple labels on the same message.

Yes, so currently your only alternative is to manually create smart
mailboxes for each tag.

On the plus side I answered your question in the [ticket
system](http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/374)
about how to manually add a (hardcoded) “Tags” column. Other users
might find that interesting as well.