[MlMt] newbie question - Large Google Apps archive - limited local space

Manoel Felciano mano at felciano.com
Tue Feb 25 17:56:07 EST 2014

Hi all

I'm excited to start using MailMate but had a bad experience (due to my
ignorance no doubt) the first time I fired it up, as it tried to locally
store every email I have and soon bottled up my SSD.

I have 350k unique emails in a Google Apps Gmail account. I have been using
Mailplane and the web interface.

I'm running a 2011 macbook with a 128 SSD startup drive (system & apps) and
a 500 GB storage drive; both of course fairly full.

I'd like to work offline and use MM to have access to a small segment of my
email, say the past year, and continue to use Mailplane/Web UI for full
search of older stuff.

So:

1) is the first thing to do create a filter & label called "past year" with
criteria newer_than:365d and have mail mate subscribe only to that?

or is there a way to tell MM to only fetch email from the past year?

2) how does one handle "archiving"? I'm used to hitting "E" in gmail and
banishing an email to the archive, which in gmail is the gargantuan "All
mail," but I often find myself having to refer back to that email soon
thereafter.

Now Benny, for understandable reasons, strongly suggests *not* syncing with
"All Mail" with MailMate. However if I don't do that, how do I access my
recently archived emails? Or do I need some sort of "Recent archive" and
move stuff there instead?

I know that in October, the default treatment of Gmail/All Mail changed, so
that people are now syncing that folder, but again, mine has 350k
emails.... looking for best practices advice!

3) can I safely delete local copies of attachments (via Hazel) every week
or so to stop that from bloating, knowing I'll always have a copy of the
attachment on the server?

Many thanks!