[MlMt] newbie question - Large Google Apps archive - limited local space

Wed Feb 26 04:56:59 EST 2014

On 25 Feb 2014, at 23:56, Manoel Felciano wrote:

> I'm excited to start using MailMate but had a bad experience (due to
> my
> ignorance no doubt) the first time I fired it up, as it tried to
> locally
> store every email I have and soon bottled up my SSD.

It would be nice though if MailMate was better at “warning” about
the consequences of importing an account.

> 1) is the first thing to do create a filter & label called "past year"
> with
> criteria newer_than:365d and have mail mate subscribe only to that?

I'm not sure Gmail can dynamically update such a mailbox. Maybe someone
else knows.

> or is there a way to tell MM to only fetch email from the past year?

There is a [hidden
preference](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences#experimental_imap_window)
and although I mention it from time to time I have never gotten any
feedback on how well/badly it works. In other words, don't use it if you
don't want to spend time reporting bugs.

> 2) how does one handle "archiving"? I'm used to hitting "E" in gmail
> and
> banishing an email to the archive, which in gmail is the gargantuan
> "All
> mail," but I often find myself having to refer back to that email soon
> thereafter.

In your case I would recommend letting MailMate use
“[Gmail]/Archive” to archive. This is also described
[here](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup#gmail). MailMate can
handle “[Gmail]/All Mail” without creating duplicate messages, but I
don't think it performs well for large accounts (currently I believe
both Gmail and MailMate is to blame for that).

> Now Benny, for understandable reasons, strongly suggests *not* syncing
> with
> "All Mail" with MailMate. However if I don't do that, how do I access
> my
> recently archived emails? Or do I need some sort of "Recent archive"
> and
> move stuff there instead?

You could think of “[Gmail]/Archive” as your recent archive. You can
of course use any mailbox name you want, but remember to use “Mailbox
▸ Mailbox Type ▸ ...” in MailMate to assign the “Archive”
mailbox type.

> I know that in October, the default treatment of Gmail/All Mail
> changed, so
> that people are now syncing that folder, but again, mine has 350k
> emails.... looking for best practices advice!

I actually changed it back such that “Gmail/All Mail” is not synched
by default (but it can still be subscribed manually). The implementation
was based on Gmail now supporting CONDSTORE for IMAP. This is an
extension that makes certain IMAP actions faster, but it turns out that
it's actually quite slow for large Gmail mailboxes (I don't have any
exact numbers on that).

> 3) can I safely delete local copies of attachments (via Hazel) every
> week
> or so to stop that from bloating, knowing I'll always have a copy of
> the
> attachment on the server?

Yes, the following folder can be considered a cache where it is always
safe to delete files:

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Attachments/

Attachments are only saved to this folder when needed (e.g., when using
Quick Look).