[MlMt] MailMate did not synchronize in the background

John Cooper mailmate at coopercontent.com
Wed Feb 26 07:28:39 EST 2014

Benny,

**What's New in OS X: OS X Mavericks 10.9** says all that I know about
AppNap clearly and simply:

> App Nap reduces power consumption by completely suspending your
> app’s execution when it meets certain criteria. This ensures that
> your app does not periodically wake up to do unnecessary work. An app
> is considered to be a candidate for sleep if:
>
> - It is not visible—if all of an app’s windows are either hidden
> by other windows or minimized in a hidden dock, and the app is not in
> the foreground
> - It is not audible
> - It has not explicitly disabled automatic termination
> - It has not taken any power management assertions
>
> When all of these conditions are met, OS X may put the app to sleep.
> While asleep, the app is placed on a scheduling queue that rarely gets
> actual time on the CPU.
>
> The app wakes up automatically when the user brings the app to the
> foreground or when the app receives a Mach message or Apple event.

Because I like to have MailMate open all the time, but don't like to
have windows open that I'm not actively using, I generally hide MailMate
after using it (expecting the menu bar counter to alert me of incoming
messages). That meant that all four of Apple's conditions were true, and
at some point OS X sent MailMate to sleep.