[MlMt] Duplicated sent messages (in Sent Mail and in filed-in box), Gmail

Wed Aug 6 09:33:30 EDT 2014

On 6 Aug 2014, at 4:18, Caroline Taylor wrote:

> Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I'd already gone through all
> of the archives in great detail, along with the bug reports and
> discussion there, along with everything else I can find in google. I'm
> using tag mapping, and have followed all the instructions and tried
> alternatives.
> Nothing there helps.

But it works for you except for sent emails? That is you are now
subscribing to “[Gmail]/All Mail” and using labels, but you don't
have duplicate messages in general?

> What I'm confused by is that it's *only* the sent mail messages that
> are duplicating. Everything else, which is also tagged and/or filed,
> is not duplicated. Is that somehow the expected behavior?

No, it's not.

Despite MailMate having a reputation of not being compatible with Gmail,
I would claim it works quite well for most users — at least for small
accounts (< 50K messages). I've certainly done many things to work
around the various quirks and I'll probably continue to do so.

> My understanding is that duplicates when using All Mail are pretty
> universal, not just Sent Mail.

Well, if you use the mapping to Gmail labels then there should not be
any duplicates.

> If I can figure out why Sent Mail is behaving differently, perhaps I
> can fix it.

Where are the duplicates located? (Try enabling the “Source Mailbox”
column in the mailbox outline to get this information.)

> I'm familiar with google's "IMAP"; I wish it were either standard or I
> had a viable alternative. It's made me cranky for years. Tragically,
> I'm stuck with it, and the labels.

If you do not use the Gmail labels from other devices then you can
actually use tags in MailMate without creating labels at Google. (Gimap
does support IMAP keywords.)