[MlMt] Duplicated sent messages (in Sent Mail and in filed-in box), Gmail

Caroline Taylor taylor.caroline.m at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 03:17:03 EDT 2014

Hi Benny,

Thank you for responding!

> But it works for you except for sent emails? That is you are now
> subscribing to “[Gmail]/All Mail” and using labels, but you don’t have
> duplicate messages in general?

Yes, that is correct. I'm subscribed to All Mail, using labels. It seems to
work except about 20 % of the messages in [Gmail]/Sent Mail are duplicated.

Despite MailMate having a reputation of not being compatible with Gmail, I
> would claim it works quite well for most users — at least for small
> accounts (< 50K messages). I’ve certainly done many things to work around
> the various quirks and I’ll probably continue to do so.

I haven’t tried your non-beta version, but gmail integration in the updated
works quite well for me at >52k messages! Other than the [Gmail]/Sent Mail
duplicates, which I’m fairly certain I’m just missing something obvious
for.

 Well, if you use the mapping to Gmail labels then there should not be any
> duplicates.
>
> The odd thing is that even though I don’t have all labels mapped yet, I’m
not seeing any duplicates from other messages. This is even though I know
some are filed and tagged more than once.

Again, I come back to why is [Gmail]/Sent Mail behaving differently to
other folders? Simply mapping [Gmail]/Sent Mail to a tag only treats the
symptom, so I hesitate to just do that.

>  Where are the duplicates located? (Try enabling the “Source Mailbox”
> column in the mailbox outline to get this information.)

Every duplicated message is in [Gmail]/Sent Mail, but not every message in
[Gmail]/Sent Mail is duplicated. Only messages I’ve sent and that are filed
are duplicated. They’re all from [Gmail]/Sent Mail, although sometimes the
filed message is the one highlighted as duplicate.

The duplicates pair to almost all of my mailboxes (now labels). Mapping all
my mailboxes to tags would limit my ability to quickly file messages. And
mapping “[Gmail]/Sent Mail” to tags seems problematic to me, but perhaps
I’m wrong?

Here’s something else I’ve noticed, which may or may not be relevant: gmail
reports 8.52GB in mail; MailMate is at 6 GB, down from nearly 10 GB.

> If you do not use the Gmail labels from other devices then you can
> actually use tags in MailMate without creating labels at Google. (Gimap
> does support IMAP keywords.)
>
> I do, actually, use the labels from other devices. Or rather, I file my
mail as I read it. I don’t normally tag it when I’m not in the web client;
I treat it the way I did in pine.

Thanks for your help!

-Caroline