[MlMt] MailMate crashes when using encfs

Thu Sep 19 06:00:16 EDT 2013

On 18 Sep 2013, at 16:05, Felix Kling wrote:

> I started playing around with
> [encfs](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS) lately and also wanted to
> secure my mails by mounting the encrypted filesystem at
>
>  ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate
>
> This worked at first, but when I try to start MailMate now, it crashes
> and the log only shows:
>
>> rmdir failed: Resource busy
>> Abort trap: 6
> [...]
> So it seems that MailMate is trying to delete this folder, but why?
> Could this be changed so that it works well with encfs? (Needless to
> say it works fine without encfs)

The only reason MailMate would try to delete a folder is if it sees the
folder as empty. In general, when MailMate deletes a file from a folder
then the folder is deleted if it's empty to keep everything as clean as
possible (this is mainly to keep the `Messages/` folder clean).

Apparently the code handling this is confused by the encrypted
filesystem. I can, of course, make sure that MailMate never tries to
delete the main folder (and I should), but that is of course no
guarantee that there are no other reasons that it'll fail to work.

Thanks for the report.