[MlMt] Copying the contents of a smart folder to a zip file?

Fri Jun 7 10:02:41 EDT 2024

On 16 May 2024, at 2:18, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Is there any rational way to copy every message in a smart folder to a
> single zip file, preserving the date order? If I cmd-C the list of
> messages and copy/paste the files somewhere (or do the same via the
> command line), the order is quasi-random, not preserving dates. (I'm
> perfectly happy to do any sort of weird stuff from the command line.)

There are several things affecting the behaviors described in this
thread. I'll just quickly mention a few things:

1. Newer MailMate releases may behave differently. This is because
MailMate would previously fail to update the creation date when saving
messages/attachments. Instead it could in some cases be the date used to
previously save the message in the database or a cache folder. This
would result in a mess of dates.
2. Most commands/actions in MailMate will happen in the order of the
internal Msg ID of the message. This value will in turn be based on when
MailMate initially fetched the message. (It would make sense for
MailMate to sort messages by date, but this mostly doesn't happen -- in
particular this affects exporting to the mbox file.)
3. The latest few uploads of MailMate (since r6031) include an updated
Export action for rules. This is very flexible and configurable.
Ideally, something similar should be made available for direct usage
instead of the “Copy to Folder” bundle command, but that is not
currently the case. At the same time, this should be moved to the File
menu where I suspect most users would be looking for it. This is on my
ToDo.