[MlMt] mail archiving

John Doherty jld at jld3.net
Mon Mar 20 09:48:53 EDT 2023

This is an interesting question. FWIW, I would avoid mbox format, too
likely to end up with huge unwieldy files although I guess that depends
on how you have your mail segregated and organized.

I have never looked into MailMate's export or import features before.
I'm using an older version of MailMate, 1.13.2 (5673).

When I select some messages and do Command->Export->Copy to Folder, I
end up with a bunch of .eml files.

Do you have, or can you get, an email account other than the one
provided by your institution? Are you willing to pay anything for one?
It sounds like you need to export about 18 GB of mail and I don't think
anyone will offer you that much storage for free.

Wait, it seems from this:

<https://www.techradar.com/best/best-free-email-services-for-year>

That Yahoo will give you 1 TB for free. That surprises me but could be
true.

I think gmail gives you 15 GB free, which sounds like it's not quite
enough for your purpose here but nothing stops you from having multiple
gmail accounts, so you could create two.

Fastmail will give you 30 GB for a little under $50 per year.

When you import a bunch of .eml files into MailMate, you get to choose
what account to import them in to, assuming you have more than one
configured. You may have to click the Options button in the lower left
of the Import dialog box.

So if you had a second email account that can store 18 GB of mail, you
could export from your institution account and them import into the
other account. That way, all your mail would still be in MailMate, just
not all in the same account. It would all be searchable in the same way,
though.

I also just tried importing the same .eml files into Apple Mail (which
does not have any accounts configured) and it worked, but sort of oddly.
Each message appears as a folder containing one message. Maybe mbox
really would have been better, not sure.

The imported messages appear under "On My Mac->Import" in Mail. They are
all in ~/Library/Mail. Note that I do not have iCloud configured to
include Mail. Not sure where the imported messages would have ended up
if I did.

I don't have Thunderbird installed anymore but have helped other people
in the past use its local storage feature to archive mail. They were
mostly Thunderbird users anyway, so they still had all their mail in one
place.

In any case, I would do some experimentation will small numbers of
messages before deciding what to do for the whole thing.

Anyway, there's some ideas you could consider. I think the best place to
store email messages is in an email program, so in your place, I would
try to get all this old mail into another account, or two if necessary.