[MlMt] mail archiving

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Mar 20 08:05:15 EDT 2023

Hi,

On 20 Mar 2023, at 12:47, aisrael wrote:

> My institution politely asked me to reduce by half the amount of space my emails occupy on their server (currently 36 Go : given my position in this institution, I had to keep ~20 years of emails; I am now semi-retired and should be able to “delete” some of them). Therefore I decided to archive old emails. I found a lot of relevant suggestions in this forum, and decided to test Eaglefiler, Horcrux and Mailsteward, but I was not thrilled by any of them, for different reasons. Then I thought the simplest solution was to export individual mailboxes under the mbox format. This works well (I am using Mailmate 5937). Then I am left with  : how to easily read, search, …. these mbox files?

you could import them into Apple Mail or Thunderbird. They support local folders. Thunderbird dropped native support for import, I believe, but it definitely works if you install the Add-On called “ImportExportTools NG”.

Cheers,
Sebastian
--
   .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.13.:.
                .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.