[MlMt] How are Draft emails supposed to be used

John Doherty jld at jld3.net
Thu Apr 27 13:48:45 EDT 2023

Hi Henry, I don't have any answers here but will note what I just saw
when I tried this. It's not something I usually do: I don't write email
on my phone (or desktop apps other than MailMate, or in webmail) except
in emergencies, but I was curious about what would happen.

I started a message in the fastmail app on my android phone, saved it as
a draft, and then looked to see how it would appear and work in
MailMate.

What I found was that the "Drafts" folder of that account had been taken
offline in MailMate. I can't be sure it wasn't offline before but I
seriously doubt it.

I was about to say that even after bringing it back online and manually
syncing the account, the draft still wasn't visible in MailMate at all,
but now, after several minutes, it is. I don't know what took so long or
why the drafts folder was taken offline (if that really did happen).

But now that I can see it, I can open and edit it normally. I just did
open it, added a couple more lines to it, and sent it (to myself) with
MailMate. Everything worked fine.

Then I created another draft message using K-9 Mail and my work (gmail)
account on my phone. The draft message appeared in the drafts folder of
that account in MailMate pretty much immediately but when I open it in
MailMate by double-clicking it, I can't edit it.

If I then try to send it, it gets opened in a new window in which I can
edit it and then send it normally, as if I had chosen "Edit as new
message...".

After I do send that, the original draft is left in the drafts folder,
the (edited and) sent message appears in the sent folder, and the two
messages have different message IDs. So I think when I tried to send it
the first time, it really was effectively opened as a new message.

So... how does saving a message as a draft in one app and then trying to
work with that draft in MailMate work? Based on what I just saw, I'd say
"not really all that well, at least not for me."

I don't know where the blame for any of this lies. My fastmail and gmail
accounts work differently and neither seems to work in the way I would
hope. Also don't know if things would have worked any better with a
desktop app other than MailMate: I don't have one configured to try.