[MlMt] Verifying the MlMt installer’s integrity

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Apr 26 22:11:56 EDT 2023

On 2023-04-26 at 15:59:23 UTC-0400 (Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:59:23 -0700)
davecc0000 <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Apple App Store and the like provide verification of all apps
> submitted for distribution from the store.
>
> For direct downloads such as the MailMate app, how do we verify that
> the file has not been tampered with? Is there a signature or hash that
> Benny can provide? I didn’t see any such on the download page.

Well, unless you've disabled the feature, macOS won't let you run a
downloaded application like MailMate unless it is signed by an
Apple-identified developer. You can verify this signature with Apple's
'codesign' tool:

	$ codesign -v -v --check-notarization  -d /Applications//MailMate.app/
	Executable=/Applications/MailMate.app/Contents/MacOS/MailMate
	Identifier=com.freron.MailMate
	Format=app bundle with Mach-O universal (x86_64 arm64)
	CodeDirectory v=20500 size=96607 flags=0x10000(runtime) hashes=3008+7
location=embedded
	Signature size=9049
	Authority=Developer ID Application: Freron Software (VP8UL4YCJC)
	Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
	Authority=Apple Root CA
	Timestamp=Mar 30, 2023 at 10:52:41 AM
	Info.plist entries=33
	TeamIdentifier=VP8UL4YCJC
	Runtime Version=13.1.0
	Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=312
	Internal requirements count=1 size=180

There's a man page for that tool if you want all the details...

If you like free GUI tools instead, see
https://objective-see.org/products/whatsyoursign.html for a gadget that
adds a "Signing Info" item to the Finder contextual menu, which you can
use to get info like the attached image.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire