[MlMt] moving my mail from one server to another—will my IMAP mailboxes & their contents survive the move?

Andrew Buc abuc at andrewbuc.com
Wed Apr 5 23:01:05 EDT 2023

On 5 Apr 2023, at 15:14, David Ledger wrote:

> On 4/5/23 21:00, Andrew Buc wrote:
>> I strongly recommend against GoDaddy. Details this evening Pacific
>> time--I'm coming up on the end of my lunch hour.
>

> I too have concerns about GoDaddy.
>
> I just keep domain registrations with them, nothing else.

For quite a few years I’ve had my own domain with email forwarding to
my actual mailbox at fastmail.fm. I started out with the domain
staxman.net, a tip of the hat to Stax Records of Memphis, the label of
Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Booker T. & the MGs, but that’s another
discussion. I set up 2 email addresses with forwards, a dedicated
address for job-hunting and a general address for everything else.

Ca. 2008 I read _Job Searching with Social Media For Dummies_ by Joshua
Waldman. Waldman recommends incorporating your name into your personal
domain and using that domain for your email email address, so I
registered the andrewbuc.com domain with GoDaddy, again with 2 email
addresses and forwards to fastmail.fm. I reached a point where I was no
longer getting incoming mail at the staxman.net addresses, and I let the
domain lapse this past February.

And then a friend called me saying his emails to me had started bouncing
back. I called GoDaddy and didn’t like what I heard, to say the least.
When they canceled the forwards from the staxman.net domain, they
canceled the forwards from the andrewbuc.com domain also. Apparently
they don’t offer email forwarding any more, and I had been able to
keep my forwards because they’d been grandfathered. No, they
couldn’t restore the forwards. If I’d known this would happen, I
could have arranged a soft landing. I asked my correspondents to email
me directly at my fastmail.fm address for the time being. I don’t
think I lost any mission-critical incoming emails, knock wood. The lady
at GoDaddy said I could set up a mailbox with GoDaddy, but I certainly
wasn’t going to reward them for giving me the shaft!

Randy Singer, who’s the reigning expert at Groups.io
Macsupportcentral, said that some years ago GoDaddy had tried to sell
his domain out from under him.

There had been a discussion of domain registrars a couple of years ago
on Macsupportcentral, and this was one of the ones recommended:

https://www.pairdomains.com

I called them, explained what had happened with GoDaddy, confirmed that
they wouldn’t yank my email forwards out from under me, and moved my
domain to them. A customer service rep was able to walk me thru the
process of setting up the forwards in 5 minutes.

If anyone shares my passion for classic ‘60s soul music, the
staxman.net domain is now available.

I related that at least GoDaddy didn’t give me a hard time about
transferring the domain away, and Randy said, “When I tried to get
away from GoDaddy they threw up a bunch of roadblocks, and each one
sounded like they had made up rules on the spot.”