[MlMt] How to set columns and sort for all list views?

Quinn Comendant quinn at strangecode.com
Tue Feb 22 16:17:15 EST 2022

Thanks for the reminder, Henry. I've been using a test build from a few
weeks ago. I'll set reminders to update every week. I read the recent
release notes, but didn't see any mention of improvements related to
columns and sort configuration; is there a specific new feature you
think would help me in a recent build?

Very best regards,
Quinn

On 22 Feb 2022, at 15:10, Henry Seiden wrote:

> Quinn,
>
> Don’t know if you’re interested, but I’m using the developer
> build, on advice from Benny. I’m aware that sorting and views are
> fluid aspects of MailMate, you should know that Develop Builds are
> available by holding down option key when checking the menu: Mailmate.
> The “Check for Update” changes to “Test Build”. Benny is much
> more responsive to making changes on that Build. OTOH, it may be less
> to your liking with the new features he’s testing out there.
>
> Just thought you might want to know.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Henry Seiden
>
> Techworks Pro Co.
> E: info<at>techworkspro<dot>com
> W: http://techworkspro.com
>
> On 22 Feb 2022, at 15:55, Quinn Comendant wrote:
>
>> I've still been breaking my brain with the inconsistency of columns
>> and sort in MailMate. Today I discovered the state is saved in the
>> MailMate preferences, under `MmMailboxRelatedStates`, where *each
>> view has its own column settings*. This shows clearly that this is a
>> feature not a bug. It's an undesirable behavior for me, so I googled
>> this and found some old threads
>> [[1]](https://mailmate.freron.narkive.com/0wbncv72/mlmt-revert-to-default-columns-revert-to-different-columns-depending-on-mailbox)[[2]](https://lists.freron.com/mailmate/2017-June/008297.html)
>> on the mailing list that suggest I can quit MailMate, delete this
>> preference key by running the following `defaults` command in the
>> terminal, then re-configure my default view:
>>
>>     defaults delete com.freron.MailMate MmMailboxRelatedStates
>>
>> After relaunching MailMate, I selected the top-most view of my IMAP
>> account, set the columns how I want, then selected “Use as Default
>> Columns”. This worked! It didn't apply to Drafts, Sent, or Spam
>> folders, but all other folders now have the default columns applied.
>>
>> However, I still don't see a way to reset the sort preferences in the
>> same way. For example, every time I switch from Widescreen Layout to
>> Correspondence Layout, the list of correspondence is sorted with
>> newest messages at the bottom. Is there a way to set newest messages
>> at the top for all views, everywhere, always?
>>
>> Quinn

>>> I'm using version 1.14 (5853) on macOS 12.1, 2021 M1 Pro MBP.
>>>
>>> I can reproduce this issue as follows:
>>>
>>> 1. Open my Inbox by clicking the Inbox folder icon in the left
>>> sidebar.
>>> 2. Apply some arbitrary column settings, e.g., right-click a column
>>> header and show UID and move it to be the leftmost column.
>>> 3. Right-click a column header and select "Use as Default Columns".
>>> 4. Navigate to a different folder (click in the left sidebar).