[MlMt] Separate sets of smart folders for each account

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Feb 10 23:12:51 EST 2022

On 2022-02-10 at 17:20:19 UTC-0500 (Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:20:19 -0500)
Sam Birch <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hi all,
>
> I use MailMate with one email account for home and another email
> account for work. I never really want to “mix” the two, but
> MailMate seems to be set up to combine all accounts. Yes, I can create
> submailboxes of my smart folders for each account, but what I’d
> really like is for the top level to be accounts and then have my
> various smart folders under that.
>
> Before I construct parallel sets of smart folders manually, I thought
> I’d ask: does anyone else use MailMate like this, and if so, what do
> you do?

I don't, but only because I don't feel the need to add hierarchy to my
smart folder arrangement. All of my smart folders specify just one of my
accounts as the source or source mailboxes only from one account. It's
certainly feasible to organize your smart folders in the "Mailboxes"
section by account, but you will need to do it manually.

> I also thought of putting smart mailboxes _inside_ each of my
> “sources” rather than in the “mailboxes” section, but the
> first time I tried that I got a crash, so for now I’m not.

Yeah, that would never work.

Mixing the folders in "Sources" (which mirror the folders as they exist
on the IMAP server) with the entirely virtual "Smart Folders" that
MailMate constructs using its comprehensive (and entirely client-side)
index of that message store would result in massive confusion. There's
no way to replicate the smart folders on the server side so people would
surprised by their (smart) mailboxes not being visible via other clients

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire