[MlMt] MailMate HTTP(S) requests when clicking URL within MM

Thu Aug 4 04:57:23 EDT 2022

On 3 Aug 2022, at 21:10, Joachim Tingvold via mailmate wrote:

> Whenever I click on a link in an email within MM, it's instantly opened in my default browser. However, almost simultaneously, MM makes a request to the URL i just clicked for no apparent reason (Little Snitch lets me know). The request happens every time I click a link, even the same one multiple times in a row.
>
> Is there a reason that MM does this request? How would I disable this "feature"?

I don't have a workaround yet. It's an issue that was introduced with a macOS update (somewhere in the range of 12.3 and 12.5). For some reason, when MailMate uses NSWorkspace to open a URL, this triggers Apple code (I believe) to make a server request before passing it along to the browser. This is what triggers Little Snitch.

Right now I kind of consider it an Apple bug, but I might be missing something. I also welcome any technical insight anyone might happen to have on the issue (write me directly). I'm also interested in knowing if this also happens on Ventura.

There's also a ticket on the issue: https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/3062