[MlMt] MailMate HTTP(S) requests when clicking URL within MM

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Aug 3 19:38:10 EDT 2022

On 2022-08-03 at 18:07:35 UTC-0400 (Wed, 03 Aug 2022 16:07:35 -0600)
Melton Low <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hi,
>
> This has nothing to do with MM.
>
> That link is a URL pointing to a web site somewhere. Little Snitch is
> designed to intercept those request to an external web site.

Little Snitch (and similar tools like LuLu) doesn't just intercept the
connection, it knows which process is trying to open the connection. If
you make an exception in LS, it will by default only apply to the
application that made the request.

Little Snitch knows about Safari doing HTTP/HTTPS requests and has a
default rule to allow that. It does not by default allow MailMate, which
is why the original poster is seeing the alert.

> If you trust that web site, you should tell Little Snitch to always
> allow. Little Snitch will no longer ask you the next time you click on
> that link.

Generally, you can tell LS to allow that combination of requesting
application, remote host, protocol, and (for UDP and TCP) port number.
Or any subset of those.

> You can also put Little Snitch on Silent Mode that tells Little Snitch
> that you trust all external access.

And also makes LS pointless.