[MlMt] remove text from incoming/outgoing emails

Randall Gellens mailmate at randy.pensive.org
Thu Apr 28 18:16:06 EDT 2022

On 25 Apr 2022, at 9:02, Martin Dege wrote:

> I want to purposefully remove them from incoming messages. That was my
> question. - so I don’t have to remove them every time something is
> forwarded.

This (editing messages) has come up before. Someone mentioned that there
was a command to edit a message that they were trying to create a bundle
to use. I'm not aware of any way to edit messages. I wish there was. Mac
Eudora had an "edit" feature (only available in advanced mode) that
allowed one to edit a message. When finished editing, Eudora would use
IMAP APPEND to upload the edited message and would delete the original
message. I found it extremely helpful to add notes and follow-up.

In your specific case, all I can think of would be to have a rule that
exported the message to a folder, then have a shell script or Automator
action, set to run when a file is added to the folder, that deleted the
text and then re-sends the message to you using the command-line emate
tool. I don't know if it would work to set the "From" to the original
sender's "From" (your server might block it) but if so that would be the
closest to what you want that I can think of.

--Randall