[MlMt] Advice on using MM with 2 Factor authentication ( Duo)?

TJ Luoma luomat at gmail.com
Fri May 21 18:43:08 EDT 2021

I have bad news and really bad news.

The bad news is that Duo does not work with IMAP.

The really bad news is that Microsoft Office 365 is dropping support for
IMAP later this year (2021).

Sources:
https://hdkb.clemson.edu/phpkb/article.php?id=690 also says that IMAP does
not work with Duo + 365 ("POP/IMAP and SMTP only clients" are "Not
Supported".)

"In order to require Duo, a significant change in the authentication
configuration must be made. One of the results of this change is that IMAP
will no longer work for Office 365. Therefore, the IMAP protocol will be
disabled in Office 365 on May 20, 2019.Mar 27, 2019"
https://blog.smu.edu/itconnect/2019/03/27/imap-discontinued-summer-2019-improved-mail-security/

https://it.hms.harvard.edu/news/two-factor-authentication-o365 seems to
suggest that only Outlook and Mail.app (iOS and Mac) will work. Generic
IMAP will not work with Duo + 365.
(It also says "Additionally, Microsoft is discontinuing support for POP and
IMAP with O365 in October 2020" which was later changed to "until the
second half of 2021".)

Deferred end of support date for Basic Authentication in Exchange Online
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/office/blogs/deferred-end-of-support-date-for-basic-authentication-in-exchange-online/