[MlMt] Advice on using MM with 2 Factor authentication ( Duo)?

Roger Bohn Rbohn at ucsd.edu
Fri May 21 17:14:02 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,
My employer @UCSD.edu has just announced mandatory 2 factor
authentication login for email, using Duo.
We run Microsoft Office 365 Exchange.  I access via IMAP. The university
wants us to access via a web browser, but afaik very few actually do.

Does anyone have experience with Duo authentication for MailMate? For
example, will I have to authenticate via Duo each time MM wants to
retrieve mail?  That’s impractical, obviously. My “other
university,” Stanford, also uses Duo heavily but so far not for email.

Comment: With many applications, Duo can be activated for a week at a
time. With Safari, however, that no longer works because Apple has
locked it down too far.

Thanks for any advice. Oddly, I could not find discussion of any
two-factor authentication in the manual.
Roger

**Given recent events such as the UCOP data breach and the ransomware
attack at Scripps Health, effective Tuesday, May 25, at 1:00 p.m. PDT,
all access to UC San Diego email will require the use of two-step login
(Duo) as part of our continued security enhancements.**