[MlMt] Big Sur problem

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 13 22:39:00 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-13 at 21:51:19 UTC-0400 (Thu, 13 May 2021 19:51:19 -0600)
Randall Meadows <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I just received a new machine; downloaded a new copy of MailMate
> (5673), but copied two items:
>   • ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate
>   • ~/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate.plist
> from my old computer (running Catalina) to this new one.
>
> I'm now getting the message:
> "Software Update Disabled
> MailMate is running on a read-only filesystem and can therefore not be
> updated."
>
> I don't believe this to be true (although this is my first experience
> with Big Sur 😡 so who knows) since the application itself lives in
> a folder in my home directory (~/Applications/, where I put *all*
> non-Apple applications, and I've not experienced any issues with those
> [yet]).
>
> Any suggestions?

Fix the symlink at ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages to
point to either:

1. ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages.noindex  if you have
not set a "Custom Location" for your Messages folder.

2. Wherever your Messages folder actually lives, after copying them
there from the old system.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org