[MlMt] Migrating to Big Sur

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue May 11 13:03:19 EDT 2021

On 2021-05-11 at 12:27:29 UTC-0400 (Tue, 11 May 2021 09:27:29 -0700)
davecc0000 <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> MM now launches and doesn’t quit immediately.
>
> When I am asked for accounts passwords, immediately after entering one
> I get an alert:
>
> “MailMate failed to save a file to disk.
> (/Users/macmini//Library/Application
> Support/MailMate/Messages/IMAP/[myemail
> address%40gmail.com at imap.gmail.con/State.plist_backup). Error: no such
> file or directory.”
>
> I copied the files (see below) from my previous daily-functioning MM
> install on my Sierra boot disk to the new Big Sur drive (the entire MM
> folder, not by opening the folder and selecting all files and dragging
> those).
>
> Any idea why I’m getting this error?

Most likely because ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages is
(usually?) a symbolic link which points to the absolute full pathname of
your actual message store and that path does not exist on the new
system. If you had a "Custom Location" set for the Messages folder (in
Preferences->General) you may be able to fix the problem by switching it
off, restarting MM, and switching it back on. If you didn't have that
set, you can recreate the default symlink with:

ln -sfn ~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/Messages.noindex
~/Library/Application\ Support/MailMate/Messages

> Thanks,
> Dave
> macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur
> MailMate 1.14
>
> - - -
>
>> To migrate MailMate from Sierra to Big Sur, I moved these folders
>> to identical locations on the new hard boot drive by dragging and
>> dropping in Finder:
>>
>> ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate (folder)
>>
>> ~/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate.plist
>>
>> All copied. I then downloaded the latest daily MM beta and copied it
>> to the Applications folder.
>>
>> After booting into Big Sur and launching MailMate, MM quit
>> immediately and Terminal opened and spit out some errors errors.
>> (Terminal purges previous output on Quit so those are gone for now.
>> I’ll post what I see when I next boot BS and run MM.)
>>
>> Is my process correct?

If you had a "Custom Location" set for the Messages folder on the old
system, that copy missed all of your messages.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire