[MlMt] Apply rule to sent messages?

Andrew Buc abuc at andrewbuc.com
Wed Mar 31 20:52:36 EDT 2021

On 27 Mar 2021, at 8:42, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> I think that a smart mailbox is actually simpler to handle and more
> reliable besides being more aligned with IMAP. The smart mailbox can
> check incoming and outgoing mailboxes for mails that have any
> recipient or sender be the specified email address (or more).
> Basically, the exact conditions, Andrew, that you set up for your rule
> except that applied for a smart mailbox with INBOX and SENT as source
> mailboxes. No need to actually move physical messages.

I’m evolving a hybrid approach: dedicated folders for various friends
and listservs, with filtering on the FastMail server, as well as smart
mailboxes in MM. My rationale is as follows: Moving emails into
dedicated folders takes them out of the main inbox. If I didn’t do
this, then the inbox would consist of literally all my incoming mail,
both in MM and when accessing the server through a web browser. As it
stands now, I can find email from a given friend in their dedicated
folder, and I can find email to them in the smart folder.

I should mention that I was really a bit behind the curve in creating
folders and rules in Mail, and I’m starting over in MM. For example, I
get a lot of solicitations for contributions to various initiatives and
political campaigns, and I have a dedicated Politics folder for them.
Since there’s always another person running for office, the list of
rules gets ever longer. In Mail I reached a point where I couldn’t add
any more conditions to the Politics rule, and I created a Politics2
rule.

Similarly, I have a folder for incoming advertising pitches. A while
back I bought a North Face parka online, which entailed creating an
account with North Face, and now I get a lot of email from them
advertising other items. This was on top of companies that were already
emailing me.

Different strokes for different folks.