[MlMt] Switching to Fastmail: some questions

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 13:47:24 EDT 2021

On 22 Jul 2021, at 13:13, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> 2. I see that Fastmail has its own Contacts module, but that doesn't
> support synchronization with Google Contacts. Will I need to import my
> Google Contacts into Fastmail Contacts for Mailmate to see my Contacts
> when composing a message? Or does Fastmail use my Mac Addressbook for
> this?

This depends on which email app you are using. It looks like Fastmail is
generally compatible with IMAP clients, so MailMate should still be an
option for receiving email (and probably sending email, too).

MailMate uses the Mac address book (“Contacts” app) which can
synchronize smoothly (for the most part) with Google Contacts. Note that
MailMate also uses existing addresses extracted from part of your email
archive, so it’s a bit smarter than just the Contacts app. Basically,
if you only composed email messages in MailMate, then no changes would
be necessary.

I haven’t used Fastmail, but if you use their email apps or web-based
client to *compose* email, then it looks like you would have to
import/merge your Google Contacts database.

The Fastmail address book can sync with the Mac address book the same
way Google Contacts does. If you transitioned your contact database to
Fastmail, then it would work smoothly with both MailMate and the
Fastmail apps.

FWIW, automated syncing between the Fastmail address book and Google
Contacts is also possible, but it requires some additional software
setup.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net