[MlMt] What controls physical deletion of mails from MailMate?

Raza Rizvi raz at raz.org
Wed Aug 25 12:29:08 EDT 2021

Sorry to yet again reply to my own message. The issue remains but until
just now, the messages were deleted if I switched to another
mailbox/smart mailbox.

Which made me remember that in a mail on the 25th September 2020 Benny
told me about
	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmAutomaticExpungeBehavior -string
"mailboxSwitch"

(which is not listed on
https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences)

The other value is “Never”

I checked my MailMate hidden defaults and there was no entity called
MmAutomaticExpungeBehavior but I clearly had set it in Sept 2020 and it
must have been set as that was the behaviour I was seeing.

Setting it to “Never” or indeed back to "mailboxSwitch" makes no
difference, the mails are deleted immediately after being marked as
deleted because I have the (also not documented on the Hidden
preferences page)

	MmDeleteBehavior -string "markAsDeleted"

I think these preferences must have disappeared when a build removed the
Experimental 2.0 preference in the General pane. But the documentation
suggests this was AGES ago. But I refer to it back in September 2020 so
I must have seen and switched it on.

(I have of course restarted MailMate in between changes of the defaults)

Anyone else got any clue what is going on!

Raza