[MlMt] IMAP Port logic

Rainer Frädrich mail at raifra.de
Wed Aug 18 04:27:30 EDT 2021

Hello,

it's possible to do TLS on port 143, but the IMAP server must be capable of understanding the STARTTLS command (which most modern IMAP servers do). So the client does explicitly request TLS handshaking by using the STARTTLS command when connected to port 143. RFC3501 has more on this.

When the client connects on port 993 instead, TLS handshaking starts right away ("implicit TLS"). For more info on this see RFC8314.

Bye, Rainer