[MlMt] Comments on migrating from Mulberry (and Thunderbird)

Mon Sep 28 05:23:24 EDT 2020

On 25 Sep 2020, at 11:05, Raza Rizvi wrote:

> Hello all, 1st post and a new user on day 4 of the trial.

Thanks for trying out MailMate!

> 1. I cannot get MailMate to move to the next message, despite use of MmMessagesOutlineMoveStrategy - is it broken?

I'm not sure. It depends on how you move to the next message and what you expect to happen.

> 2. I have been using MmDefaultBccHeader but is there an equivalent for the Cc header?

No, not if you mean the special value mapping to the current sender. I *think* it's possible to hardcoded its value, but that's probably not what you want.

> 3. I have MmDeleteBehavior -string "markAsDeleted" but is there an Expunge on disconnect option somewhere? I do it manually using the Experimental 2.0 prefs checkbox notes.

No, but I think this one works (which might be what you actually want):

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmAutomaticExpungeBehavior -string "mailboxSwitch"

> 4. Can you specify just an SMTP server with its own AUTH values (the use case is when I send mails from a particular address, which is itself a role address - support@ - , that I want to go through a certain mail server so DKIM/SPF requirements are met)?

MailMate isn't very flexible when it comes to SMTP, but you can try this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmSMTPAlternativeEnabled -bool YES

It should enable an extra popup in the Composer window, but right now I cannot recall how well it actually works. There's no way (in the GUI) to add an SMTP account which is not part of an IMAP account, but I *think* it's possible to add it manually to this file:

    /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Submission.plist

Only edit that while MailMate is not running. I'm not promising that any of this will work, but now you know :)

> 5. Sometimes when I print I get a sheet with just the normal mail headers but no body content

I'm currently working on a new message view which also changes how printing works. If you can reproduce this after updating to the latest test release (I can see you are close) then, if possible, send me an example using “Help ▸ Send Feedback”. Just drag the example into the email.

> 6. Can you print a message which has blocked images and exclude the very large X placeholders for the image - I’d like to save paper!

No, but it's a good question. I've noticed that images not having an explicit size (very often tracking pixels) end up taking the full width (and then the same height) when blocked. This is clearly bad since that huge cross is replaced with a single pixel when downloaded. These are not the only images which do not have explicit sizes in the HTML. Often they have some fixed width and MailMate will then display a square cross. I've now changed this such that MailMate will default to 20% of the width of element. This appears to work fairly well in practice.

It's not the feature you ask for because images with explicit sizes will still have a cross of the exact same size. That could perhaps be overridden using CSS and `!important`, but that's not a rabbit hole I'm interested in right now :)

> https://vxlabs.com/2019/08/25/format-flowed-with-long-lines/ means you know you are in the right, even if Gmail users say your mails look odd!

Thanks for that link. I'm very close to giving up on `format=flowed`, but this might be a way forward. I'll add this to my other notes on the issue.