[MlMt] Comments on migrating from Mulberry (and Thunderbird)

Raza Rizvi raz at raz.org
Mon Sep 28 05:35:23 EDT 2020

…
>> 1. I cannot get MailMate to move to the next message, despite use of
>> MmMessagesOutlineMoveStrategy - is it broken?
>
> I'm not sure. It depends on how you move to the next message and what
> you expect to happen.

I should have included more description. If I am reading a message and I
use the space bar, it will move down the message and then bring up the
present) but if I am reading a message and delete it then it does not
bring up the next message into a window so I may read it. In the list of
messages the current deleted message will (for me) be marked as deleted
but the selected message highlighter remains on this deleted message. It
does not move to the next Unread message.

>> 2. I have been using MmDefaultBccHeader but is there an equivalent
>> for the Cc header?
>
> No, not if you mean the special value mapping to the current sender. I
> *think* it's possible to hardcoded its value, but that's probably not
> what you want.

I meant more a sort of

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDefaultCcHeader -string
me at example.com
as well as MmDefaultBccHeader

>> 3. I have MmDeleteBehavior -string "markAsDeleted" but is there an
>> Expunge on disconnect option somewhere? I do it manually using the
>> Experimental 2.0 prefs checkbox notes.
>
> No, but I think this one works (which might be what you actually
> want):
>
> 	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmAutomaticExpungeBehavior -string
> "mailboxSwitch"

Thanks, will try.

>> 4. Can you specify just an SMTP server with its own AUTH values (the
>> use case is when I send mails from a particular address, which is
>> itself a role address - support@ - , that I want to go through a
>> certain mail server so DKIM/SPF requirements are met)?
>
> MailMate isn't very flexible when it comes to SMTP, but you can try
> this:
>
> 	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmSMTPAlternativeEnabled -bool YES
>
> It should enable an extra popup in the Composer window, but right now
> I cannot recall how well it actually works. There's no way (in the
> GUI) to add an SMTP account which is not part of an IMAP account, but
> I *think* it's possible to add it manually to this file:
>
>     /Users/<username>/Library/Application
> Support/MailMate/Submission.plist
>
> Only edit that while MailMate is not running. I'm not promising that
> any of this will work, but now you know :)

I will give it a try and report back.

>> 5. Sometimes when I print I get a sheet with just the normal mail
>> headers but no body content
>
> I'm currently working on a new message view which also changes how
> printing works. If you can reproduce this after updating to the latest
> test release (I can see you are close) then, if possible, send me an
> example using “Help ▸ Send Feedback”. Just drag the example into
> the email.

Will do - I am currently on v5718 so will upgrade in a few hours.

>> 6. Can you print a message which has blocked images and exclude the
>> very large X placeholders for the image - I’d like to save paper!

I totally understand your answer, so I will leave it for now and just
live with the big boxes!

Raza