[MlMt] Comments on migrating from Mulberry (and Thunderbird)

Raza Rizvi raz at raz.org
Fri Sep 25 05:05:55 EDT 2020

Hello all, 1st post and a new user on day 4 of the trial.

Very long term Mulberry/MulberryMail user on Windows then OSX, but for
the past 9 months dual-running with Thunderbird because the inability of
Mulberry to support 64bit OSX meant I knew I had to transition at some
point when I was forced to upgrade the OS.

Thunderbird, whilst tweakable, is simply too slow and cumbersome so I
went hunting mail clients. MailMate is the only one making the grade (no
surprise there).

Mostly I can have my way of working but there are a couple of oddities
or things maybe I haven’t quite got right yet that you can help with
(mostly this is emulating things Mulberry was capable of doing):

1. I cannot get MailMate to move to the next message, despite use of
MmMessagesOutlineMoveStrategy - is it broken?
2. I have been using MmDefaultBccHeader but is there an equivalent for
the Cc header?
3. I have MmDeleteBehavior -string "markAsDeleted" but is there an
Expunge on disconnect option somewhere? I do it manually using the
Experimental 2.0 prefs checkbox notes.
4. Can you specify just an SMTP server with its own AUTH values (the use
case is when I send mails from a particular address, which is itself a
role address - support@ - , that I want to go through a certain mail
server so DKIM/SPF requirements are met)?
5. Sometimes when I print I get a sheet with just the normal mail
headers but no body content
6. Can you print a message which has blocked images and exclude the very
large X placeholders for the image - I’d like to save paper!

Some final comments for other people who might make the switch:

I miss tabs per account but it hasn’t taken long to stop fretting
about it.

https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/81-archiving-to-local-folders
is a great way of getting round the lack of local mail folders.

https://vxlabs.com/2019/08/25/format-flowed-with-long-lines/ means you
know you are in the right, even if Gmail users say your mails look odd!

Redirection and changing the subject line is possible as two separate
options which might be able to be stitched together using a mail binding
(for my usual case of sending wayward mails back into a ticketing
system)

Thanks for bearing with me, and I look forward to fully making the
switch.

Raza