[MlMt] system alert sound randomly occurring when selecting messages in MM

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 14:45:08 EDT 2020

On 25 Oct 2020, at 13:46, Lisa Sieverts wrote:

> Eric Sharakan <esharakan at gmail.com> said:
>
>> Hi, has anyone else noticed this odd behavior: sometime MailMate will
>> emit the system alert sound when I select certain messages for
>> viewing.  I don't see anything unusual about the messages it chooses
>> to do this with, and the behavior goes away (but eventually returns)
>> if I restart MM.
>
> YES I have seen this behavior every day. Since I don’t have sound on
> for alerts, the thing I notice is that as I’m going through my
> Inbox, every so often instead of a down arrow (or N/P with my key
> bindings) moving me to the next message, what I see is that the Apple
> Menu has been highlighted and opened instead. I have to click away
> from that and then highlight my next message in Mailmate and at that
> point I can work normally until the next time it happens. I see this
> behavior at least 2x and up to 10+ times in a typical day. I’d love
> to be able to stop this behavior.

It sounds like some other program is launching in the background and
then stealing the keyboard focus from MailMate, perhaps some automatic
update process (e.g. anti-virus, Adobe CC, even OS X)? If that update
program doesn’t recognize your keyboard input, it would beep at you. I
have seen DropBox and Google Backup & Restore do this, but not every
day.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net