[MlMt] Smart Mailbox - include submailbox

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Fri Oct 16 03:59:16 EDT 2020

On 16 Oct 2020, at 9:38, Martin S Taylor wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2020, at 0:27, Robert Brenstein wrote:
>
> I have never tried putting regular IMAP mailboxes into a smart
> mailbox. It seems counter-intuitive to me.
>
> I don't see why. Suppose I have a IMAP mailbox called TopLevel, which
> contains SecondLevel1, SecondLevel2, and SecondLevel3, and
> SecondLevel1 contains ThirdLevel1 and ThirdLevel2. How can I set up a
> smart mailbox which contains only, say, the emails which are inside
> SecondLevel3 or ThirdLevel2? Or for that matter, how can I set up a
> smart mailbox which contains all the emails in TopLevel and its nested
> sub-mailboxes?
>
> I believe that the key is that no source mailboxes are selected and no
> conditions are set for the mailbox with that checkbox set.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand this. Could you clarify?

Some of the terms used in MailMate can be confusing: Mailbox can be both
a folder and an account.

One of the less well documented features are "dumb" folders: these are
simply used as containers for smart mailboxes. For example: I have one
called "Contacts" that contains various smart mailboxes for various
people. But the same could be true for a company or a project. Sometimes
you might want to be able to see all the e-mail contained in the
sub-folders at the top-level and that is where the switch is useful.

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Kronenstr. 27a