[MlMt] Gmail All Mail

Edward Thome ethome at murraystate.edu
Tue May 26 08:57:17 EDT 2020

On 25 May 2020, at 9:42, Evan M Silberman wrote:

> I am using Mailmate with two separate Gmail accounts. However, when I
> archive my email using MailMate, instead of going to Gmail's defacto
> "All
> Mail" folder it goes to a new folder, "Gmail/Archive." How do I
> resolve
> this so all archived email goes to Gmail's "All Mail" Folder?

Hello!
I think that the answer to your question is at the bottom of this page:

https://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup#gmail

In particular:

**How to configure MailMate**
If you click “Edit Subscriptions” in the IMAP account editor for a
Gmail account then you might notice that “[Gmail]/Starred” and
“[Gmail]/Important” are unsubscribed. It is important to keep it
that way. The starred emails are equivalent to flagged emails. If you
need the “Important” emails then you must setup a tag in MailMate to
match the special \Important Gmail label.

The “[Gmail]/All Mail” mailbox might also be unsubscribed, but this
is optional. If you don’t subscribe to it then there’s is likely
going to be emails on the server which do not appear in MailMate. If you
do subscribe to it then MailMate will do its best to only synchronize
the emails which do not exist in any of your other Gmail mailboxes (in
order to avoid duplicates in MailMate). It’ll also be used as your
“Archive” mailbox when it is subscribed. Otherwise, a new mailbox
named “[Gmail]/Archive” is created and used as the archive mailbox.

Here comes the important part. Gmail labels falls into two categories:

A label used as a folder: This kind of label is just like a standard
IMAP mailbox. Labelling a message in Gmail is equivalent to moving it to
a mailbox in MailMate. This is how Gmail labels are handled in MailMate
by default. For example, you might like to move a message from the Inbox
to a mailbox named “Receipts”.
A label used as a tag: This is equivalent to flagging/starring/tagging a
message. The message is not moved, but it is marked in order to be more
easily found when searching or to be part of some virtual mailbox.
MailMate must explicitly be told about this kind of label in the Tags
preferences pane.
If you go to the Tags preferences pane in MailMate (⌘,) then notice
the “Gmail Label” column. This can be used to tell MailMate to
consider some tag name to be equivalent to a specific Gmail label. This
has the following consequences:

It is no longer considered to be an IMAP mailbox and it’ll disappear
from the list of mailboxes in MailMate. This is implicitly how
synchronizing duplicates are avoided in MailMate.
Whenever you tag an email in MailMate then its corresponding Gmail label
is also applied. This means it’ll show up with this label in the Gmail
web interface.
Whenever a Gmail label is applied via webmail then MailMate detects it
and makes sure it shows up with the corresponding tag.
If moving a message to a non-Gmail IMAP server then it keeps its IMAP
keyword and thereby its tag in MailMate.
The end result of all this is that Gmail accounts and IMAP accounts can
nicely co-exist without MailMate becoming a Gmail email client instead
of an IMAP email client. You must subscribe to “[Gmail]/All Mail”
for this to work when the labelled emails do not exist in any other
mailboxes.

Sincerely,
Ed