[MlMt] Changing SMTP server for particular domains?

Jack Saturn jack at recdel.com
Tue May 19 19:53:23 EDT 2020

Hello all,

Is there a feature within MailMate that will allow me to designate a
particular SMTP server to be used when sending messages to specific
domains?

For the longest time I used Hostgator and Gmail servers for SMTP, but
for whatever reason I kept having messages go undelivered or show up in
the recipient’s spam folder.

After reading someone on the Mailmate mailing list mention Mailgun, I
signed up for an account and starting using their SMTP servers about 6
months ago. The benefit is that I can check the outgoing mail logs once
a day to see if any of my sent messages didn’t get delivered.

The only downside is that Mailgun is primarily a service for bulk
mailers, and so they often get flagged for spam. I have no problem
sending to Gmail addresses, but often messages sent to Yahoo, Hotmail,
Live.com, etc., will fail.

As a workaround, I started using the Alternative SMTP function in
Mailmate, detailed here:

https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences#alternative-smtp-server

And here:

https://lists.freron.com/mailmate/2016-January/005366.html

The only limitation now is that I have to remember to switch to my
alternate SMTP server each time I’m sending to someone from one of
these domains. If there’s a way within Mailmate, possibly as an
offshoot of the Alternative SMTP Server option, I’d love to be able to
compile a short list of these problem domains and give them their own
SMTP server, so that I won’t have to manually switch back and forth
(as I often forget to do so).

Thanks for any help y’all can provide!

Jack