[MlMt] AltaMail vs. Preside?

Zak McClellan zmcclellan at diconconsulting.com
Fri May 15 14:32:57 EDT 2020

Bryce-

I am late to post on your question.  I use/have used both AltaMail and
Preside.  They are both good options with different features.  I started
with AltaMail (Classic) so probably a bit biased.  I stuck around for
the upgrade/transition to subscription.

My main email client to triage messages on iPhone is Mail.  The GUI is
just better and I am quickly able to swipe away unwanted email.  After
the basics, the two features I stressed for iOS are Notifications and
Tags/Keywords.  On the iPhone AltaMail is my choice.

Mail only offers a VIP list of notifications. I receive too many
messages for every email to 'ding'. I use AltaMail so I can use a
(business) client's domain for notifications.  So anytime anyone from a
client sends an email I receive a separate notification tone.  Often I
do not know the person or have any contact information.  So this
prevents their message from going unnoticed.  I do wish that custom
tones were allowed.  Right now there is only a set list.
I also have specific tones for specific people.  Some messages just mean
more. ;-)

Tags/Keywords are also available.  If I recall these are not on by
default.  In fact they may be called Flags which makes it more
confusing.  There were some settings to tweak.  And as you noted the
settings menus are not for the faint of heart.  You also have to turn on
the tags you want to use.  This is a feature and bug.  I have a long tag
list so I appreciate being able to shorten it on the small screen.
Those with a shorter list wanting to see everything may find checking
every item for visibility to be laborious.

One thing missing for all iOS email clients is the availability of
Markdown, especially tables.  I currently draft messages in 1Writer for
emailing Markdown, but tables do not translate well into iOS Mail from
1Writer.  They're decent but not the same as on the desktop.

Enjoyed your article.  There are a lot of choices and details.  But
that's good for everyone.

-Zak