[MlMt] Ideas to reduce the footprint of MailMate

Guillaume Barrette guitest02 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 10:32:49 EDT 2020

Hi all!

First, thanks Travis, Bill and Randall for your insight on how IMAP
works. I think that would have been long and demanding to scan every
email when syncing, so I'm glad this is not the case

Thanks Patrik for your workflow regarding your procedure to archive your
emails, I'll keep this as well for when I need to move my emails out of
MM.

As I said, at the moment I can live with the disk space + RAM + MailMate
general performance while working with it since I don't find it that
slow. I know it would be snappier while searching and doing operations,
but I think I'll investigate a little more to see if I can find the
cause of the high download bandwidth.

To give you more inputs, yesterday MailMate downloaded for 2.1gb of
data.
You can see a screenshot taken at the end of the day before I put my
laptop to sleep [here](https://d.pr/i/XVsY6a)

Regarding the RAM (I think it's simply because of the number of emails,
but if anyone find something that doesn't look right regarding the RAM
or anything else, please let me know!);

- [Screenshot from Activity Monitor](https://d.pr/i/UEw5dy)

- From the "top" terminal command:

```
PID    COMMAND      %CPU TIME     #TH   #WQ  #PORT MEM    PURG   CMPRS
PGRP  PPID  STATE    BOOSTS           %CPU_ME %CPU_OTHRS UID  FAULTS
COW      MSGSENT    MSGRECV    SYSBSD     SYSMACH    CSW         PAGEINS
  IDLEW      POWE
24238  MailMate     1.4  77:01.88 25    2    7071  1164M  2088K  736M
24238 1     sleeping *0[5479]         0.00236 0.00000    501  9284220
3535     10108349+  2441046+   66702119+  38571993+  31311669+   294676
  698677+    1.6
```

- From the Instruments application:

```
Process ID	Process Name		Responsible Process	User Name			% CPU	CPU Time
# Threads	Memory	  Kind			Sudden Termination	Sandbox	Restricted	App
Nap	Idle Wake Ups	Disk Writes (B)	Disk Reads (B)
24238		 MailMate (24238)	n/a	       		 GuillaumeBarrette	2.1%	 77.11
min	26		   1.13 GiB	Intel (64 bit)	No					No			No		No		1,739,433		639.85
MiB		 2.40 GiB
```

So, I'll keep investigating the bandwidth and see if I find a solution
(or do you think I should fill a bug report?)

Thanks again everyone for your inputs, this is really appreciated!

Best,

--
Guillaume