[MlMt] Moving complete folder tree from one IMAP server to another

Billy Youdelman billy at MIX.ORG
Wed May 6 19:27:14 EDT 2020

Fritz Slater wrote about imapsync:

> Thank you for the recommendation.  I did get it to work.  It ran quite
> slowly, but I suspect I was being throttled by Gmail.

When I last moved my own email from a small but well-run ISP, I did see
3.8MB/sec from them, but Fastmail topped out at just 872KB/sec (but
didn't stay there).  This was done from where I work, and have an OC-3
(about 18MB/sec) connection on Level 3's network (one of Fastmail's
peers).  I'd guess that Fastmail, more so Google mail, are fairly
heavily loaded.

> I did have a problem with a memory leak.  So I had to kill it and
> restart it a couple of times.

It's been a while since I last used it, but I haven't had any any
trouble with the precompiled Darwin version.  A typical command line (my
needs are simple, heh) -

./imapsync_bin_Darwin --host1 Skipper.Opus1.COM --user1 billy at MIX.ORG
--password1 MASKED --ssl1 --host2 mail.messagingengine.com --user2
billy at MIX.ORG --password2 MASKED --ssl2 --tmpdir /var/tmp

And the results -

     Total bytes transferred   : 3383047221 (3.151 GiB)
     Average bandwidth rate    : 225.2 KiB/s
     Memory consumption        : 2737.7 MiB

ビリー ヨーデルマん
+1 310 839 7673