[MlMt] can I make rules apply automatically?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Mar 23 16:12:13 EDT 2020

On 23 Mar 2020, at 14:58, Jo wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2020, at 11:17, Seamus Phillips wrote:
>
>> If you set up a smart mailbox for read messages, you would be able to
>> apply a rule to that.
>
> so… that would essentially be everything that I read goes there, and
> once it's there, the rules I make for filing them away would
> automatically apply, leaving the other stuff I would still want to
> figure out what to do with… right? Which could be a GOOD thing in
> helping me get better organized. ;-)

Right.

I do something like this with mailing list mail. I have a smart mailbox
that contains all of the messages  that are over 35 days old from the
many mailing lists I'm on which have public archives. I have a rule for
that mailbox which deletes any message which does not have my domain in
a Message-ID, References, or In-Reply-To header. This means that I keep
conversations that I have engaged in on mailing lists but discard
everything else automatically.

> (I am still trying to get back to the same comfort level I had with
> PowerMail, knowing where to find everything)

I feel your pain...

I used Eudora for over a decade and for a few after that used
Thunderbird with a collection of extensions intended to make it more
like Eudora. I'm only mostly adapted to MM after ~7 years.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not For Hire (currently)