[MlMt] DRAFTS issues with MailMate and Protonmail - solved?

Thomas Baker tom at tombaker.org
Sat Mar 14 13:38:31 EDT 2020

Problem:

    MailMate, when used with Protonmail, would not let me
    draft responses.  I always got an error message
    saying 'Server response: "M4 NO mailbox Drafts does
    not exist"' (as in screenshot [1]).  The only way to
    make the error message go away was to click on "Take
    Account Online".  This would make the given IMAP source
    turn red in the list of "Sources", and of course no
    mail could be sent.

Official solution (issue #2476 resolved on Dec 30th 2019 [2]):

    """The best you can do is to select the Drafts
    mailbox within each account (under Sources) and then
    use “Mailbox > Take Offline”. This is essentially the
    same thing as if MailMate supported some kind of
    local drafts setting."""

My interpretation of the official solution:

    For each source under sources:

    1. Click on the "source" in the "Sources" list. Then:

    2. Right-click on the "Drafts" mailbox, and try to
       select "Take Offline".

Two problems with my interpretation:

    1. Right-clicking on "Drafts" shows that "Take Offline"
       is greyed out.

    2. Right-clicking on "Drafts" sets a wheel turning
       (which presumably means "fetching from server").
       One after another, error messages appear for each
       source, the only resolution to which is to click
       on "Take Account Offline".  The Apple spinning
       beachball appears if one mouses over the list of
       mailboxes.  In the end, all of sources are offline
       (with no obvious way to send mail).

An expanded version of the official solution:

    1. If any source under "Sources" is highlighted red
       (which means it is offline), right-click and select
       "Take XXXX Online".

    2. For the "Drafts" folder, carefully click the
       tiny triangle on the left to expand.

    3. For each of the addresses under the expanded
       "Drafts":

       a. Right-click on the [XXXX] address.

       b. Select "Take XXXX Offline".

    1. If one right-click-selects source "XXXX" under
       "Sources", then selects "Take XXXX Offline", it will
       take the ENTIRE SOURCE offline.

    2. If one right-click-selects source "XXXX" under the
       (expanded) folder "Drafts", then selects "Take XXX
       Offline" (i.e., same as in #1), it will take JUST THE
       DRAFTS FOLDER for that source offline.

    Nowhere is one presented with the option "Take
    Offline" (without naming a source) -- except for the
    generic Drafts folder, where it is greyed out.

As far as I can tell, this fixes the issue...

Tom

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsypku9tksymp8f/Screenshot%202020-03-14%2011.11.17.png?dl=0
[2] https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/2476-drafts-issues-with-mailmate-and-protonmail