[MlMt] Domain mail won't go online

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Mar 6 17:24:23 EST 2020

On 5 Mar 2020, at 6:56, Annamarie Pluhar wrote:

> Sent the wrong one. Ugh…Sorry. Here is the right one.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfqki9mjlhwsehh/Screen%20Shot%202020-03-04%20at%202.05.53%20PM.png?dl=0

OK, so the core error is "NO Internal quota calculation error" which
indicates a very specific rare problem with a particular IMAP server
(Dovecot, a very good open source IMAP server) and the only problem in
MailMate is that it does not expect that as a possible error at that
point. It is reasonable in my opinion to be surprised by a computer
saying that it made a calculation error...

> Update: Message from hosting provider:
>
> “We recently completed the migration of your server to our brand new
> Google data center. There is a high chance that cached information
> inside the mail client is causing the connectivity issue you are
> experiencing.
>
> As an attempt to resolve this you can try adjusting your mail client's
> settings to directly connect to the server's hostname. This is done by
> using the details below:”
>
>  I’ve tried the new setting on one account and it didn’t resolve.
> Sigh.

I wouldn't expect that to help.

That error is weird. The only reasons I can see that it should ever
happen from the server side is if there's some gross misconfiguration or
malfunction. I suppose it's possible that MailMate could have some
detail about the server's mailbox namespace or feature support cached
that changed when your provider migrated to new infrastructure, making
the command that got the error nonsensical, but I though Benny had
worked out all the kinks in that over a year ago. Are you running the
latest release?

IF the problem is MM remembering stale info about the IMAP server,
rather than the IMAP server being broken in some manner, it may fix the
problem if you delete and recreate the account in MailMate. If the
account has a lot of extant messages or dependent smart mailboxes
(making a rebuild painful,) you might need to poke Benny more firmly by
opening an actual bug report and including MailMate's IMAP session logs.
  As a temporary workaround, this command line tweak may also work, at
the expense of losing quota support for all accounts:

defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmIMAPQuotaDisabled -bool YES

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not For Hire (currently)