[MlMt] Auto delete old messages that have a certain tag?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Aug 8 00:22:29 EDT 2020

On 7 Aug 2020, at 17:06, Roger Bohn via mailmate wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I want to throw away certain old messages after a specified time. But
> I want to use tags to set which messages get this treatment. In
> process terms:
>
> * Message arrives, goes into an assigned mailbox.
> * I read it
> * I decide it should be kept until some condition or event happens,
> then thrown away. For now, the event is “the message is more than a
> month old.”
> * I set a tag “DELETE30” on the message.
> * The message remains in its regular mailbox.
> * After 30 days, the message is automatically deleted from the
> mailbox.
>
> How can I do this?
> It’s easy to create a Smart Mailbox with messages that have tag
> DELETE30 and “Date Is Not Within Last 30 days” , using Conditions.
> But Conditions do not create actions, if I understand them. Rules
> carry out actions, but rules are only executed when a message is
> processed for other reasons.

Rules are applied to a message when the message is added to the mailbox.
So, when a Date condition of a Smart Mailbox becomes true for a message,
the Rules are applied to it.

I use this to "expire" messages that are part of public mailing lists
like this one. I have a Smart Mailbox that includes all of the source
mailboxes I use for mailing lists and a mailbox condition of Date not
within the past 30 days, with a rule whose conditions exclude anything
I've replied to or which has my domain in the References or In-Reply-To
headers, with the action "Delete Permanently."

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not For Hire (currently)