[MlMt] Standard reply/respons mails

Guillaume Barrette guitest02 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 09:40:57 EDT 2020

Hi Marc,

   To give you some more suggestions...

Personally I love Alfred, but for an email template with placeholders
that you could easily modify at the time of invoking the template, I
would use Typinator (like Denis and Jan suggested) since it is easier to
setup with less workaround to input your value.

If you want to use a template without placeholders, then Alfred could be
a very good solution and that you could use for other features as well
(like creating your own workflows based on your work).

With that said, I would say that [Keyboard
Maestro](https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/) could be another very good
suggestion. You can do many things with it like snippet expansion with
placeholders, having a popup macro palette with buttons that could do
anything you set them to do. For example, if you are more of a click
focused user than a keyboard centric, then you could put your templates
as different buttons on the palette that you can invoke by clicking them
instead of remembering a snippet text trigger.

To have an overview, you can see here how to create a fill-in snippets:
http://www.macdrifter.com/2016/04/a-quick-tour-of-keyboard-maestro-fill-in-snippets.html

Another suggestion would be to use a clipboard manager application that
you could save content into a group of clipboard items. I mean, an
application like [Copy'em
Paste](https://apprywhere.com/copy-em-paste.html)

Another suggestion, you could use a snippet manager to organize your
templates and some of them allow to copy the content to the clipboard
(ex: [SnippetsLab](https://www.renfei.org/snippets-lab/) which also have
a nice menubar item to search your snippets) or other who let you create
text expansion with placeholders (ex: [Dash](https://kapeli.com/dash) )

Regarding templates using only MailMate, here are some suggestions:

1. You could set a mailbox in MailMate named "Templates" (for example)
where you could send your templates into and then use "Edit as new
message..." action of MailMate to reuse the template. Not the best to
reply to someone, but if your situation is to deal with new email, then
this could work.

2. Again, not the best idea, but you could create multiple signatures
where each one is a different template.

3. You could create yourself a MailMate bundle that could add this
feature. This is more work, but if you want something that is directly
inside MailMate, this could be a good solution. You could invoke a
script and create an input dialog for your placeholder using AppleScript
or [Pashua](https://www.bluem.net/en/projects/pashua/) or something
else...

I think this gives you many ideas/possibilities... again, myself I would
use Typinator, but you could look at the others and see if something
better fit how you work. From my point of view, they are all really
great applications!

Best,

--
Guillaume